General Tao Tofu
Another way to enjoy General tao without eating too greasy!
This is one of my favorite recipe and I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy it!
Prep: 25 min
Cooking: 15 min
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (55 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ketchup
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sambal oelek
- 1 lb (450 g) firm tofu, cubed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, dredge the tofu in the cornstarch. Shake to remove any excess and set aside on a plate.
- In a wok over high heat, heat the oil. Fry half of the tofu at a time until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, remove the tofu from the wok and drain on paper towels.
- In the same wok, fry the onions, ginger and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Add oil, if needed. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Add the tofu and cook, stirring to warm through, and coat thoroughly with the sauce. Serve with rice and broccoli.
Recipe by Ricardo : https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5675-general-tao-tofu