General Tao Tofu (the best)
I recently received the cooking book La cuisine de Jean-Philippe and, in a week, I cooked about 5 recipes, because they're so simple and delicious!
Big fan of the General tao tofu recipe by Ricardo, I thought Let's make it a battle, we'll see which one is the best general tao tofu recipe tao: Ricardo (the legend) or Jean-Philippe (the magnificent) ...!
Well, you guessed it .. Jean-Philippe's recipe won! Why? It is more simple, lighter, less greasy, less stuffy..!
Vegetable oil: replaced by olive oil
Ginger: I didn't put any
Sriracha sauce or chilli paste: I don't like eating spicy so I put sweet pepper sauce instead
Prep : 20 min
Cooking : 15 min
Servings : 4
- 1 block (454 g) of firm tofu, diced
- 1/4 cup (35 g) cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) ketchup
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sriracha sauce or chili paste
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) vegetable broth
- Green onions and sesame seeds to garnish
- Rice or quinoa
- In a bowl, mix tofu with cornstarch to coat well.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crispy. Let the tofu drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the rest of the tofu. Add oil as needed.
- In the same pan, cook the garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add oil as needed.
- Add maple syrup, soy sauce, ketchup, sriracha sauce, green onions and vegetable broth. Reduce for a few minutes and add the grilled tofu to warm. Serve with rice or quinoa and garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Recipe from the cooking book La cuisine de Jean-Philippe, ses 100 meilleures recettes véganes