People look at me with a weird look when I talk about my mom's famous tomato pies! It is a very popular side dish to BBQ parties in my family. Here is the vegan version that tastes just as good!
I love this recipe, especially during the tomato season!
Prep : 20 min
Cooking : 40 min
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 pie crust (I use Crisco; follow instructions except for eggs and add water if needed)
- 3 large onions
- 2 Tbsp vegetable butter (ex : Earth Balance which has the consistency of butter, you could also use vegan margarine like Becel)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 200g Swiss style cheeze (ex: Gusta), cut into slices
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 pinch of dried basil
- Olives, sliced, to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, to taste and for presentation
- Cut the tomatoes into slices, salt and pepper to taste. Place on paper towels and drain for 1 hour.
- Preheat pie crust in the oven for 5 min at 400F having previously made holes with a fork in the crust.
- Cut the onions into slices and cook them until transparent.
- Spread the Dijon mustard on the crust. Cover with onions. Place the cheeze on the onions. Place the tomatoes to form a sun. Brush with oil, garlic and basil. Add the olives on the top.
- Cook at 350F for 30-35 min depending on the thickness.
- Decorate with basil leaves.